Super Omega Ultimate Supreme Jesus
I am noticing a trend lately in my blogs of starting out with preface type narration of my inner turmoil about what I should write about. This post is no different.
Jesus is many things to me. Many of them are probably theologically incorrect. The Bible calls Jesus many things and gives us many word pictures of Him, making it hard for me to decide what aspect of Jesus I wanted to highlight today. I thought about talking about Jesus being the Prince of Peace and giving us peace that surpasses all understanding but there was something that stood out to me even more:
Super Omega Ultimate Supreme Jesus. (kinda sounds like some anime character’s final form.)
Another Empty Conversation. Click to listen
Super Omega Ultimate Supreme Jesus
If you do a search for the supremacy of Christ you will most likely come across Colossians 1:13-23. This is because Paul wrote this book of the Bible in response to people trying to make Jesus into something lesser than He is. This prompts Paul to go on a rant about how amazing Jesus is. I want to look at a shorter piece of that passage:
“huh?” That is probably what you just said after reading that. Sure there are a bunch of cool sounding things said about Jesus but if we read it the wrong way we run afoul of making Jesus into something that He is not (and people who disagree with my reading of this would say that I made Jesus into something He is not).
The Image and the Firstborn
Verse 15 gives us two images:
- Jesus is the Image of God. I believe this is more than a reference to man being made in the image of God. This reminds us of Luke 1:1 where the Word becomes flesh; Jesus is the exact Image, the physical representation, of the unseen God. Not just in the image but is the image itself.
- Jesus as the firstborn. This could be problematic at first glance when it calls Jesus the ‘firstborn of all creation.’ Someone reading this might read it as “firstborn of all created” as if He was just created before everything else, but that’s not what it says, it says “of all creation.” It is saying that creation is Jesus’ inheritance like the firstborn would receive.
Again verse 16 has two things for use to look at:
- It says that everything was created by (or in), through, and for Jesus. What does that mean? Why did Paul word it that way? When I first read it, I was just like “yea that’s nice Paul” but I didn’t really appreciate what it truly meant. The Greek philosophers had said that everything needed a primary, an instrumental, and a final cause. The primary cause is a plan, the instrumental is the power, and the final is the purpose or reason. So Paul says “by or in Him”, showing Jesus planned creation, says “through Him” to show that Jesus has the power to create, and “For him” to show that Jesus did it for His pleasure.
- This next one I kind of touched on in my blog for #ec1dot17 “Seeing The Inventor Behind The Invention.” The verse tells us that Jesus created everything. This is a direct stab at anyone who wanted to say that the physical world was evil, it’s not, Jesus created it. Anything that has power of any kind, again Jesus created it and has dominion over it.
Verse 17 brings Jesus’ Creator image to a close.
- It reiterates that Jesus existed before anything else so that He could not have been created, but then makes an additional claim: Jesus holds everything together.
- The Amplified Bible says “all things consist (cohere, are held together).” Not only did Jesus create everything through planning it, having the power to create it, and giving it purpose, but He also continues to keep it going. The existence He created, stays created in Him.
So who is Super Omega Ultimate Supreme Jesus?
Jesus is the one who made everything. He is the Inventor. Acts 3:15 calls Jesus “the Author of Life.” Jesus is not just a human who was elevated to the status of “first human” of all humanity but the Creator God Himself in human form.
So the next time we realize that we are acting as if Jesus cannot do something we must remember that Jesus is the Super Omega Ultimate Supreme (SOUS) and He is holding everything together. Remember, He’s got the whole world in His hands (seriously watch it).